NOTE: by purchasing the "no consult" version of this product you acknowledge that you will not be called by one of our pharmacists for a teleconsult. If you would like a consult, please purchase the teleconsult variant of this product by clicking on this link.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact us directly at 604-770-3390 or email@example.com.
A HOLISTIC APPROACH TO IRON SUPPLEMENTATION
FERAPRO, originally formulated by compounding pharmacist Bob Mehr in 1997 and formerly known as BOB'S IRON FORMULA, is a holistic blend of iron, vitamins, and cofactors to prevent and/or treat iron deficiency anemia. The absorption and tolerability of the iron in this blend are enhanced by vitamin C and glycine, while the active forms of vitamin B12 (Methylcobalamin) and folate (5-MTHF) support the growth and function of healthy red blood cells.
NOTE: As per the Pharmacy Operations and Drug Scheduling Act, this Iron Formula is a schedule II drug which requires professional intervention from the pharmacist at the point of sale. While a prescription is not required, this supplement is only available through a pharmacist. After placing your order online, you will receive a call from one of our licensed pharmacists for a quick teleconsultation. Your order will be shipped out after you have completed the teleconsultation.
- Formerly Known as BOB'S IRON FORMULA
- 20 Years of Proven Success in Over 30,000 Patients
- Available in 3 Strengths for Individualized Dosing (30mg, 75mg, and 150mg of Elemental Iron Per Capsule)
- Reduced Side Effects Such as Constipation and Upset Stomach
- Vegan Formulation
- Free of Dyes, Preservatives, and Unwanted Fillers
- Environmentally Friendly Glass Bottle Packaging
- Available in Child Resistant Packaging
Each veg-capsule contains:
|Elemental Iron (from Ferrous Fumarate)
|Vitamin C (Ascorbic Acid)
|Vitamin B12 (Methylcobalamin)
- Ferrous Fumarate provides ferrous (Fe2+) iron, which is more bioavailable than ferric (Fe3+) iron found in polysaccharide iron supplements. It also has the highest elemental iron content of available oral iron salts which allows for once a day dosing.
- Vitamin C (Ascorbic Acid): The enzyme ascorbate ferrireductase (DcytB) uses Vitamin C to enhance non-heme iron bioavailability by 1.5 to 10-fold. The addition of Vitamin C allows for optimal absorption without having to take additional tablets.
- Methylcobalamin, the active form of vitamin B12, is required for the proper development of red blood cells. Methylcobalamin is used in the metabolic pathway for DNA synthesis, which is essential for the final maturation of the red blood cells.
- 5-MTHF, the active form of folic acid, is required for proper development of red blood cells. 5-MTHF is used in the metabolic pathway for DNA synthesis, which is essential for the final maturation of the red blood cell.
*Note that a small but significant percentage of patients may be poor methylators due to the MTHFR gene mutation, and cannot efficiently convert folic acid to the biologically active 5-MTHF. Supplying folate already in its biologically active form is especially important, given the prevalence of the MTHFR gene mutation.
- Glycine is an amino acid that forms a chelate complex with iron, increasing its tolerability without hindering absorption. This increases the likelihood of patient adherence, thereby reducing the need for more invasive parenteral iron therapy.
Non-medicinal ingredients: Hypromellose.
Unlike other iron supplement products on the market, which generally have a long list of fillers, binders, and colouring agents, FERAPRO® has only one non-medicinal ingredient, hypromellose, which plays a crucial role in the delivery of the active ingredients.
Take 1 capsule daily with food or as recommended by a healthcare practitioner. Take a few hours before or after taking other medications.
FERAPRO should be taken orally with food to lessen gastrointestinal side effects such as nausea, vomiting and abdominal cramping.
Certain foods and beverages, when combined with iron, can reduce its absorption. To ensure you get the full benefit from your iron supplement, avoid the following for at least 1 hour before and 2 hours after taking your iron supplement:
- Leafy green vegetables
- Tea and coffee
- Dairy products
- Calcium-/magnesium-containing supplements and antacids
- Fibre-rich meals
Check with your pharmacist to see if your iron supplement should be spaced apart from other medications you may be taking. Remember, making dietary changes to include more heme or non-heme iron is an effective and important part of maintaining a healthy supply of iron for your red blood cells. See our Food Sources of Iron insert for more information about managing iron deficiency and tips for maintaining healthy body iron stores.
When will I feel better?
Symptoms of iron deficiency anemia may include fatigue, dizziness, and shortness of breath, pale skin, and hair loss. When treated appropriately with iron supplementation, these symptoms should resolve within 2 to 4 months, although iron therapy may be required for another 4 to 6 months to replenish iron stores.
Keep out of reach of children. There is enough iron in this package to seriously harm a child. FERAPRO should only be used under the care and supervision of a qualified healthcare practitioner.
- Consult a healthcare practitioner for prolonged use such as beyond 2 months.
- Consult a healthcare practitioner prior to use if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- Consult a healthcare practitioner prior to use if you have peptic ulcer disease, regional enteritis, or ulcerative colitis.
Be sure to only take the recommended dose of iron. Too much iron can be toxic. If you suspect that you or someone else has taken an overdose of iron - call your doctor, a poison control center, or the nearest hospital emergency room at once. Early signs of iron overdose may not appear for up to 60 minutes or more. Do not delay going to the emergency room while waiting for signs to appear.
Store at room temperature (15°C to 30°C).